Davao del Norte – The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing the New People’s Army (NPA) is no longer welcome in the province of Davao del Norte.
This after Governor Edwin Jubahib signed Executive Order No. 14, declaring the CPP-NPA-NDF persona non grata for sowing terror in the communities.
In his statement Thursday night, the governor imposed a total ban on the presence and the conduct of various activities of the terrorist group.
“Dili na sila welcome sa Davao del Norte, ug ang mga katawhang Dabaonon dili na mohatag og suporta, ug dili na mosugot nga aduna pay magpabilin nga armadong rebelde sa probinsya (They are no longer welcome in Davao del Norte and the Dabaonon people will support them no more and will no longer tolerate the presence of armed rebels in the province),” he said.
It can be recalled that Jubahib moved for the reclassification of the communist rebel movement as an organized crime group, during the recent Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC)-XI meeting in Davao City.
He also moved for the closure of the UCCP-Harans, accusing the center of being a tool of the rebels in pursuing their agenda.
The governor called on the members of the NPA and their mass supporters to return to the fold of the law and join the movement for peace and progress.
“Akong ipaniguro ang proteksiyon… ug pagdawat sa mga hinabang sa gobyerno (I will ensure your protection.. and assistance from the government),” he assured.
He said there is no more reason for the people to support the rebel cause, since the government is now extensively addressing the issues being used by the NPAs, such as poverty, inequality and discrimination, among others.
He cited the president’s Executive Order No. 70, which institutionalizes a 'whole-of-nation approach in fighting insurgency, which the province fully supported.
Right after assuming office, Jubahib established the Davao del Norte Local Peace Engagement Framework to strengthen efforts in ending local communist armed conflict (ELCAC) in the province.
He also housed the Regional Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (RTF-ELCAC), which now coordinates all activities of the LGUs in the Davao Region in the full implementation of EO-70.
Last year, he launched the Oplan TABANG outreach program to harmonize the delivery of government services to isolated and disadvantaged areas, together with the army, police, other government agencies and private organizations.
Over 20,000 individuals benefitted from the eight Oplan TABANG service caravans in remote communities, bringing free health, medical, dental, agricultural, social and legal services, and livelihood assistance, among other services.
Hundreds of thousands of residents in conflict-affected and vulnerable communities are set to benefit this year from the scheduled 21 Oplan TABANG outreach activities starting this February.